Supporting pupils with EAL – Short CPD Course
There are over one million learners in UK schools who speak English as an Additional Language (British Council) and students speak over 350 languages between them (NALDIC). It’s very likely you will have EAL learners in your classroom and you must be able to support, encourage, and include them in ways that meet their individual needs. Learn the main principles of EAL teaching, and approaches and strategies for EAL learners.
Advantages of this course
- This course suggests approaches and strategies for EAL learners, such as barrier games, scaffolding, and modelling
- You will read about innovations in English language teaching for migrants and refugees and know where to find high-quality classroom resources for children, teenagers, and adults
- In the Activity section of the lesson, you will be asked to think about the EAL learners in your school and how responsibility for these learners is organised by school leaders
- There is also suggested extra reading that gives both practical information and links to websites to expand knowledge
On successful completion of this course, you will have the option of purchasing a CACHE certificate. This certificate must not be confused with nationally regulated qualification achievement.
- You will understand the barriers and challenges faced by a child who moves to the UK with EAL
- You will know the benefits of being bilingual or multilingual and the positive effect on cognitive development
- You will understand the current government policy and guidance on EAL
- You will consider differentiating between bilingual pupils who have English language development needs and those who have Special Educational Needs (SEN)
Students looking to enrol onto this course should meet the following criteria:
Be aged 16 Years or above
Possess a solid knowledge of the English language
Have access to a PC and the internet for the duration of the whole course
Basic computer skills: e.g. Word processing, emailing, uploading documents etc
Have a genuine desire to succeed
This course provides successful students with a completion certificate from CACHE and their enhanced learning program (£18.00 charge applies)
Awarding body CACHE is recognised as an awarding organisation by the qualification regulators for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, who are: the office of the qualifications and examinations regulator (Ofqual) in England, the Welsh Government and the council for curriculum, examinations and assessment (CCA) in Northern Ireland.
CACHE is the UK’s only specialist awarding organisation for the children, adult and health care sectors, with a portfolio of qualifications ranging from Entry to Level 5. Last year, over 150,000 learners registered with them from over 1000 UK based Centres and overseas.
Please note: Short courses provide students with CPD completion certification. To complete a fully recognised qualification students are required to complete a RQF listed course in addition.
Receipt of Certification: Certification is awarded by CACHE and can take up to 12 weeks to be received after completion of your studies. All certification will be delivered to students direct at their home address. UK Open College have no control over delivery of certification awarded by the external awarding bodies. Any outstanding fees are payable before certification is issued
These short courses can be completed in approx 10 hours of study. This will depend on student commitment and ability. Ideal for those who are considering a career in the childcare sector or indeed qualified practitioners looking to enhance their skills in a particular topic.
Students are able to complete their course purely online though our student portal. Students can expect to receive access to the student portal via email within 1 working days of enrolment being received.
Once enrolment is received we will email you access and log in information to make a start on your chosen course.
Students will progress through a series of topics online through our student portal. As students progress through the course they will complete four lots of multiple choice quiz type assessments. If you dont complete first time you can try the assessments again at no extra charge. Upon completion students can download and print a college certificate whilst awaiting their CACHE endorsed certification.
Trustpilot - Read what our students think !
Trustpilot - Read what our students think !
We are rated Excellent on Trustpilot. Read what our learners are saying about their learning experience with UK Open College. 100% genuine comments left by students that have actually completed their studies. Trustpilot is the largest independent website for customer reviews in the UK.